Custom Search

Sunday 19 September 2010

Update on Urban Decay 'The Black Palette' - How to get true colour payoff

If you haven't read my previous post about this palette, then please read that first and then read this one. :-)

As you will know from my previous post about this palette, I was a little disappointed with the colours when applied to the eyelid over the original Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) and I said that I would have a play with the colours to see if I could get them to work better.

I wanted to try them over UDPP Eden, which came with the palette to see if it would make any difference and also over Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy, as it is a wonder product that really helps to make eyeshadows look like they do in the pan, especially where shimmer is involved.

Here are the results:
The main block of the six colours were applied over the original UDPP and Pixie Epoxy.
As you can see, the individual colours are very apparent and don't just look like various shades of matte charcoal like they did when I first tried them over the original UDPP alone. Also the shimmer now shows up on all five shimmery colours (The only matte shade is Black Dog, which has a beautiful velvet look).
As a comparison I applied Barracuda over the original UDPP and Cobra over UDPP Eden. As it is yellow-based, I figured that this would be the best colour to try it with, but as you can see, it doesn't do much for the colour.

Conclusion: This is a beautiful and interesting palette, especially if you like smoky eyes and dark colours in general, but if you want to get the most out of the colours, then I recommend using Pixie Epoxy underneath them ...and if you haven't already got Pixie Epoxy, you need it! I think the above has proved that.

7 comments:

  1. Pixie Epoxy certainly makes a difference! I had a play with the tester at the weekend and didn't think much to the palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those colours !!
    Expecially Jet, i would sooo wear that !!
    Please could you check out my blog and maybe follow ??
    http://livinginwonderlandx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely swatch. Just found your blog. I am a new follower and I must say, you have a lovely blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading your posts and enjoying them :)
    love the way you write! following you- do check out my page too-
    http://beautyandeverythingelse.com/
    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the palette looks absolutely gorgeous! I love the colours and I'm a huge fan of the smokey eye! I've never tried Urban Decay but I've heard they're great for eyeshadows. xx

    Oh by the way, for my giveaway to enter you just have to follow through google friend connect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ok, I've done that now. Thanks! I wasn't sure whether Bloglovin counted towards followers on blogs, so I guess that answers the question. :-)

      Yes, I'm quite a fan of Urban Decay eyeshadows. I have to stop myself from going near the counter sometimes...

      Delete
  6. Oooh, these are interesting colours. Perfect indeed for smoky eye makeups! Now, if only I could pull off smoky eyes... X

    ReplyDelete